Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm not a real woman?

My moan of today is to stick up for the gangly girls out there who society has decided to downtread in place of "real women" with curves in all the right places.

Remember the time when Nicole/Mischa/Posh/Lindsay and all that lot graced the pages of Heat with their tiny frames because it was fashionable to be a size 0 or just a skinny girl? ...while all over the globe women were retorting, "Well I'm a real woman" because they had boobs and hips and whatever else. Well yes, times have moved on and it's all about the meat now.. curvy women with hourglass shapes etc etc.

What about the girls who are naturally skinny and haven't got big boobs? Why does that make them less of a woman? I can completely appreciate that Nicole Richie most probably had a strict diet which means she was malnourished and that is damaging for young girls to look up to.. but not everyone who is skinny eats two celery sticks a day and runs 100 hours on a treadmill each week!

I am a skinny girl. I have a good bum, if I do say so myself, but there's not much up top. I eat like a horse, don't overly exercise (just walking to uni and back is really all I do) and I don't get any bigger. The odd month I might have too many burgers but it goes to my hips and nowhere else... so how is it fair that through no fault of my own, I'm made to feel less of a woman by the media? Never mind having difficulty to find dresses that fit over my hips but doesn't leave a space where some boobs should be!

Why is it curvy v skinny? Why can't it just be both?? There should be more effort put into girls making sure they feel good in themselves whatever their shape or size or even what they look like. Give it til they're 60 and looks won't matter to them anyway!

I still believe the media is very much to blame for girls not being happy in their own skin, especially magazines who have the photoshopping tool to make their models/celebrities look immaculate. If girls think they should look like the digitally-altered faces in the magazines they read, there is definitely a problem.

To illustrate this, here's a video from Dove's 'Campaign For Real Beauty' with the conclusion "No wonder our perception of beauty is distorted"...... shocking.




1 comment:

  1. Just as a footnote with regards to politics in this area. The Lib Dems have called for a ban on airbrushing.

    ReplyDelete